Pages

Thursday 13 October 2011

Living YOUR Passion


So, for my first blog I wanted to talk about having a job to pay the bills versus doing what you are truly passionate about. Up until about five years ago, I always thought that acting for me was a hobby. I have been acting since primary school. I always enjoyed watching behind the scenes of movies ever since the age that I found out movies were not real life, just like Santa. I did drama throughout High School. I was an extra on so many different things in my spare time while doing my law degree. I even did some courses after work. About 5 years ago I started to train in the Meisner technique, and this really changed my life. It was then that I decided and really accepted the fact that “I wanted to be a professional actress”. Up until this point I always thought it was a “hobby”, mainly due to my upbringing and the views my parents drilled into me that after school you “have to” go to university and you have to have a “good job”, which acting offcourse was not. In their defence, they had my best interest at heart and wanted to make sure that I had a secure future (I love my parents).
Ok well now I am a lawyer. Even though this may be some people’s dream, it is not mine. Being stuck in an office for hours dealing with people’s problems within a legal system that (in my opinion) is not fair anyway, is not my idea of a wonderful life. This is my job to pay the bills. I mean don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate and am grateful for what I have learnt over the years from this job, the people I have met and the income I receive. I believe every experience you have in life only adds to what you can bring to a role as an actor. I believe that there are lessons we can learn from every experience.
BUT I am done with it now. When is the time to stop and decide to stop living the job that society says you must have (to pay the bills and conform) and live your passion? I have read over and over again that “the money lies where your passion is” and “your job should be what you love” and other things like that, but what does that mean? And how do you get started? And what if you don’t know what your passion is? And what if you think there is no money in your passion? And what will my parents/friends/other people say?
All questions I have asked myself. Here is what I think. Everyone needs to find their life purpose, one thing you are truly passionate about. This self-discovery will lead the way. For me, that is acting and filmmaking. Then once you know that, you set your goals, don't just dream about it and say "i wish" or "if only..." Why live life just going with the flow of what comes to you. Make things happen. Move forward. Then I believe that you keep your job for as long as you need to (since we do need to pay the bills) but also do something everyday towards setting yourself up to live you passion. One day, it will all align so that you don’t need your job anymore and you start living your passion. The universe will listen. Believe in yourself and your ability.
I would love you to tell me what your passion is and any comments on what you have written. If you agree or disagree. There are so many people out there who are living their passion. Why can’t we?

No comments:

Post a Comment